Someone Fed My Kid a peanut at school
Well, last week we had our first problem at my sonís school. A child mother brought in brownies for a birthday celebration, and even though my son had his own safe cookies to enjoy, another child told him her brownie was safe, and she shared it with him. It did contain peanuts.
The good news was that he did not have an anaphylactic reaction. He got two bumps on his arm. However, I wouldnít have known about the incident at all if my son hadnít told me.
What could have happened?
His teacher expressed concern, but the whole thing makes me wonder if we are doing the right thing sending our child to a public school. I donít think you could ask for a better school than this. It is wonderful.
BUT, they compromised Samís safety.
Would it be conscionable to compromise any childís life? Would it be okay to bring in a poisonous snake if only one child in class could possibly be poisoned by it?
I have been criticized for drawing these parallels, but I challenge you to draw a better one.
My kid was okay this time. But what if there is an increased frequency of incidents in the future, because they know this peanut didnít kill him? What if he starts getting repetitively accidentally exposed, because no one else in the classroom has to be supervised in this way?
Flat-out, letting an allergic child eat a dangerous food is an act of disregard for that childís safety.
We have had problems with there being lentils in the room, as well. I just donít get that they are very concerned about the reality of this stuff being unpredictable and dangerous for Sam.
Iím not an alarmist. Iím a mother striving for a safe learning environment for her child.
I wouldnít take your child out to sit on the highway for story hour, so PLEASE do not feed my child peanuts. It is the same thing. It is life-threatening, inconsiderate, and unwise.
By Lesley Harmon from allergyware.wordpress.com